Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Ahhh....the first "reveal" post (of many)


We have done quite a few projects over the last year.  We bought this house 6years ago and of course promised the proverbial, "Live here forever!"  We have been back and forth about selling.  The building of a new house seemed just that....new.  Deciding on the location was difficult.  We never reached a consensus, so alas....here we are.....making this house ours. 

One of the first projects I set out to do was a knock-off of the ridiculously priced Pottery Barn Typewriter Keys wall art.  Inspiration:


After finding just the right piece of plywood in the clearance section at HD for only $5, I brought it home, sanded and sketched out my blocks in pencil.  I decided to trace a small plastic cup, (thank you Olive Garden kids menu) and then I painted each one by hand with black acrylic craft paint I found in my stash.  I played around with some fonts on my computer and decided the size, then printed out all letters, numbers and symbols.  I used the tracing method -pressing down hard to make indentations in the wood, then filled in with white acrylic paint.  As the last step, I glazed the whole piece with Ralph Lauren glaze in Tobacco.  I wasn't really sure how a stain would affect my white paint.  The glaze gave it a rustic, weathered look without being too dark.  So...without further ado -here it is:

It now has a place of honor, as one of my first large successes, proudly displayed in my home office.  It was definitely a labor of love, but I like it and I really like the price tag!!  Yay for all things DIY!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment